Photographer Sherri Johnson
I am often praised for my abilities in helping subjects feel comfortable, a great eye for color, and the fastest turn around times west of the Mississippi. Over the past decade, I have photographed 200+ weddings and 3800+ properties, including many celebrity homes and million-dollar listings.
I grew up in a small suburb (Niles) outside of Chicago's city, limits walking distance to where they filmed the 1985 cult classic, The Breakfast Club. Similar to other lifelong photographers, my stepdad gave me his old Canon AE-1 film camera in high school and I developed my own black and white pictures in a dark room. What happened after that is what makes me different than anyone else you've ever met, but I bet we still have lots of things in common.
My first job at the young age of 17, was working at a children's portrait studio in the mall. I quickly learned about posing, how to get kids to smile without saying "cheese," and won some national awards. My supervisors gave me the most challenging subjects, like big family groups and fussy babies, because I handle stress well and have very good reflexes. Eventually, I received many requests from parents wanting me to photograph their children as they grew older over older the years. That's when I had my first clue about my gift, but it still took me a few more years to fully embrace it.
While at Northern Illinois University, I photographed assignments for my school's newspaper. A press pass I gave me lots of cool privileges like skipping long lines and getting the best seat in the house. It was incredible to do something fun and getting paid at the same time. In addition to general studies, I spent a year horseback riding, taking art classes, and teaching English in China for a summer.
After graduating college with honors and Bachelor's degree, I started work as a full-time photo retoucher for a real estate marketing company. I've always love seeing all of the nicely styled homes and dreaming of what it would be like to live there. On the weekends, I photographed Chicago's nightlife and was soon recruited to photograph weddings.
If you're trying to figure out how old I am, you might be interested to hear Amy Schumer, Kim Kardashian, and Meghan Markle are all about the same age as me. I am also a Scorpio but not the jealous kind. My personality type is INTJ which describes me to a T.
If I wasn't a lifelong shutterbug, I'd consider a career as a matchmaker, hair stylist, interior designer, or architect. Actually, if you are single and need help with your online dating profile pictures, you need to contact me today. Right now. Yes, now! Ok, seriously though... I can help get you better pictures, to get you more clicks, and a greater chance of meeting someone special.
When I founded my photography business in 2008, I was seeking a great website name. I discovered SJPHOTO.com was already taken by a landscape photographer and SherriJohnson.com by a real estate consultant. Eventually, I landed on SherriJPhotography.com and have held onto it ever since.
My logo has evolved only twice from the original style. The first design was just a couple of standard fonts. The second was similar to what I have now, but a blue hummingbird instead of pink. The current design includes 3 colors I associate with beautiful California weddings (blush, lime green, and brown) and a hummingbird (because they are cool birds). Did you know hummingbirds are the smallest bird, they're the only bird that can fly backwards, and a flock of hummingbirds can be referred to as a bouquet? (facts)
Here's another fun fact: did you know the letter "J" in my business name could represent my middle name "Jane" or last name "Johnson"? I wanted to keep the option open in case I ever got married and changed my name... which actually did happen, but we're back at Johnson again. Even though I like the name Sherri Jane, most people just call me Sherri- like the fortified wine, but spelled with an "i" not a "y." If you contact me and call me Sherri Jane, I'll know you read this part of my story, and you will receive a prize.
I currently reside in Highland Park Los Angeles, with my partner Matt. We enjoy hosting dinner parties, Thursday evenings at the South Pasadena Farmer's Market, and traveling (most recently to Houston, Mammoth Lakes, Monterey, and New Orleans this past year). You can view some of my personal travel pics on my BLOG.
In my rare free time, you can find me relaxing at the spa, flying my drone, or hiking in the Hollywood Hills with our rescue dogs Buddy and Daffy.
Below on the left is a recent picture of me before a marriage proposal at Venice Beach pier. I'm trying to blend in with my long 70-200mm 2.8L lens. On my "What's in the Bag?" webpage, you will find a more extensive list about my cameras, lenses, lighting, and accessories. The picture below on the right is a scan of the oldest picture of me working as a photographer at the mall. You may notice in a lot of my group selfies, I am usually at the end. That is because I pose everyone and jump in at the last second.
- FAA Certified Drone Pilot (2019)
- Best of The Knot (2011, 2012, 2013)
- Bride’s Choice Award Wedding Wire (2012)
- Partnership with David's Bridal (2015)
- Official photographer Sony's Destination Playstation (Costa Rica 2011, Cabo 2013, Santa Monica 2013, Cabo 2014, Arizona 2014)
- Associate Photographer for ZenHouse Collective (2015 - present)
- Associate Photographer for The Long Beach Museum of Art
- Associate Photographer for Orange County Beach Weddings
- Wedding & Portrait Photographer International (2011, 2012, 2013, 2017)
A longer list of clients and publications can be found online HERE.
- Portraits by Mario Testino, a beautiful photo book of celebrities. I used to rip the pages out and hang them on my walls. My style of photography is greatly inspired by his work with beautiful colors and a strong connection to subjects.
- The Four Agreements. I love the concept of "Be impeccable with your word. Don't take anything personally. Don't make assumptions. Always do your best."
- Things I Wish My Mother Told Me: A Guide to Living with Impeccable Grace and Style by Lucia van der Post. She has some great tips on domestic life, like places to visit while traveling in Europe, how to decorate your home, what to pack for a picnic, good things to splurge on, what to be frugal about, etc.
- Everything Dan Brown, he is the author of The DaVinci Code, Angels & Demons, Deception Point, Digital Fortress, etc.
- The Mysteries of Harris Burdick, by Chris Van Allsburg. It's a children's book with curious illustrations and very little text. Readers are encouraged to come up with their own stories using their imagination. Chris Van Allsburg is also the creator or Polar Express (my nephew Lucas' favorite movie), Jumanji, and Zathura.
Favorite TV Shows
- Six Feet Under
- The Wonder Years
- Black Mirror
- Schitt's Creek
- Judge Judy
- Pulp Fiction
- Family Man
- American Beauty
- Pearl Harbor
- Romeo & Juliet
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Candy Crush, I'm on some crazy advanced level in the 900s
- Neopets since college
- Mario Kart
If would like to book the best Los Angeles photographer or if you have questions, CONTACT me now.
Los Angeles Photographer (LA) - Portraits | Weddings | Events | Real Estate, 6218 Mount Angelus Pl, Los Angeles CA 90042