2) What to Wear?
The more time you invest preparing for your photoshoot, the happier you will ultimately be with your portrait results. Waiting until the last minute to throw something together will cause stress and takes the fun out of your day. Here's a few ideas to help guide you in outfit selection.
- COLOR PALETTE: Bold and bright colors look lovely. For couples and families, try choosing outfits with colors that complement each other rather than exact matches.
- CHOOSE 3: Limit your color selections to 3 complimentary colors. I suggest taking inspiration from your location or thinking how you will be displaying your images. For example, if decorating your wedding reception with engagement pictures, maybe incorporate your wedding colors. If decorating your home, consider bringing in some of the room's colors and mood.
- ROMANTIC Flowy long dresses, like maxis, elongate the body and brings a romantic element to engagement shoots.
- Create textures and layers. Accessorize with jewelry, textured scarves, faux furs, knits, bold prints, and interesting fabrics. These things always look great on camera!
- Avoid wearing large loose clothing and items that detract from the scene like solid white on white outfits, and shorts/capris as they tend to make the legs appear shorter than they are.
Favorite Clothing Stores
- Nordstrom/ Nordstrom's Rack
- eShakti (custom made clothing- they have great dresses)
- Rent the Runway (Great for special occasions- you can try on outfits at their shop in Topanga Canyon!)